What is healthy eating?
Healthy eating is eating a balanced variety of food from the four major food groups. Eating well along with being active can not only make you feel good and maintain good health, but it can also lower your risk of disease and help you reach your ‘healthy weight’.
Whether you like to plan meals a week in advance or daily, make sure your write down your meal and snack ideas. Proper planning
can help you make healthier choices and avoid reaching for the chips and coke or call the local pizza guy.
Use these tips for meal planning:
- Take a look in your fridge, freezer, and pantry to see what foods you have and what foods you need to buy. you can use the Canadian Food Guide to help you decide what foods you should have on hand.
- Keep a grocery list and make sure to keep notes on foods you run out of. Add foods based on your meal plan.
- Encourage healthy habits and get the family involved. Ask your kids and spouse to choose their favorite meal. Don’t forget to switch things up every once and a while and try out some new foods and recipes.
- Flip through flyers to find deals on different foods. Get healthy meal ideas from magazines, recipe books, and websites.
- Think about your family’s schedule. Many activities can make meal planning hard. Look for quick and easy meal ideas.
For more tips on healthy eating visit the Government of Canada Healthy Eating website
If you are interested in discussing healthy living with one of our physicians book an appointment today at 204.727.1711 or online at [button link=”http://wheatcitymedical.com/appointments/book-appointments/” bg_color=”#0316e8″]Online Booking[/button]